Cricket is one of the most popular sports in the world, second only to soccer. As with all sports of any prominence, betting is a huge part of the cricket-watching culture. Now that sports betting is popping up in states across the country, Americans are starting to pay attention to this exciting sport.
While sports betting is still waiting to go live in Maryland, we can expect to see the following sportsbooks when it eventually does, all of which currently offer cricket:
Cricket Betting Options
|What Do They Cover?
|Where are they available?
|Big Bash League 2021/2022 (outright winner), The Ashes seriesCricket, World Cup Twenty20 International
|AZ, CO, D.C, IA, ID, MI, MS, NJ, PA, TN, VA, WV, WA
|$1,000 Risk-Free Bet
|Big Bash League (outright winner), Test Matches
|AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, MI, NJ, PA, TN, VA, WV
|$1,000 Risk-Free Bet
|Big Bash League, The Ashes Series, Twenty20 International
|AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, MI, NJ, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
|$1,000 Deposit Match Bonus
|Big Bash League (Women’s), The Ashes series, Twenty20 International
|AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, MI, NJ, PA, TN, VA
|$1,000 Risk-Free Bet +$10 No Deposit Bonus
|Big Bash League (Women), The Ashes series, Twenty20 International, Test Matches, Cricket World Cup, ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifiers, ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Futures
|CO, IA, IN, IL, MI, NJ, WV
|$500 Risk-Free Bet and a $1,500 “Pointsbetting” Wager
|Big Bash League (Women)
|NJ, CO, PA, MI
|$500 Risk-Free Bet
A Word About Cricket
Is cricket betting common in the US? Far from it, actually. Cricket is more of a dull, consistent roar at this point in most of the world. Despite this international popularity, it is still trying to pick up steam stateside.
If you are new to the game, cricket is a type of bat and ball game not dissimilar to American Baseball. Originating in 18th century England, Cricket has moved from the manors of the elite to the living rooms of the masses to become widely popular and followed.
How Cricket is Played
So, Cricket is played with two teams of 11 players. The main objective is for the batsman (batter) to score runs each time the bowler (pitcher) tosses the ball. The bowler and the fielding team also attempt to knock down the bail of the wicket, a stump in the field where two bails are balanced. The batsman tries to defend it from the ball. There are two batsmen on the field at each time.
The bowler pitches from his or her end of the field six times to the opposition’s batsman. Every six pitches are known as an “over”. A “century” occurs when a batsman scores 100 or more runs in a single inning and is a common betting term you might see.
Cricket is certainly an interesting sport and one that takes some time to learn, but once you get it down you will be sure to enjoy (and eventually bet!). Maryland Cricket Betting isn’t far away.
A Guide to Cricket Styles
There are three main styles of cricket:
- Test Matches – Five-day matches that are played with 90 overs a day
- One-Day Internationals – Matches that have 50 overs
- Twenty20 Internationals – A three-hour match with 20 overs
Types of Cricket Bets
Currently, the types of bets US sportsbook allow on cricket are limited, but include:
- Outright Bets – These require a bettor to choose the outright winner of a competition rather than picking winners of single matches. Think of this as betting on who will win the World Series instead of who will win game one.
- Two-Way Bets – This classic type of bet means you have two options to bet on and you must pick who will win.
- Parlay Bets – Parlays bet on multiple bets winning. To cash out, every “leg” (or bet) needs to win. If you make five bets but only three win, you lose.
- Round Robins – Smaller parlays made up from a larger list of teams you select. Round robins are less risky than parlays because they are limited in the number of bets you can combine.
- Straight Bets – The most basic way. Straight bets are placed on the point spread and the team must cover. A point spread means that the team must win by the stipulated number of points.
Other things you might see Maryland cricket betting comes to the state are:
- Futures – You guessed it, futures are wagers placed on an event occurring in the future. For instance, there are options to bet on the outcomes of tournaments in 2022.
- Specials – A special bet is one that is a bit out of the ordinary. You might see one on a player take a certain amount of wickets.
- Top Wicket Taker – Who will take the most wickets in a particular inning?
Cricket Leagues You Can Bet on in Maryland
Maryland cricket betting isn’t available…YET. But, we can easily look at the cricket leagues available to bet on in legal sports betting states to give us a clear indication of what leagues Marylanders can wager on.
There are many leagues in cricket, but only a handful are on US betting websites.
The Big Bash League (BBL) Betting
The Big Bash League (BBL) is available on all the current sportsbooks at the time of writing. This league is Australia’s premier domestic Twenty20 cricket competition. There are eight teams in six cities, with Sydney and Melbourne having two each.
Australia is famous for its cricket, which is why this league has such a wide appeal. Given that it is Twenty20, it also has a quicker pace of play and is more approachable to new bettors. The woman’s teams are also very popular and available to bet on. In addition, bettors can bet on the outright winner of the league and there are numerous BBL betting tips pages for throughout the season.
Betting on The Ashes
The Ashes Series is the second most prevalent league to bet on in the current list of US sportsbooks. The Ashes Series is not a league, per se, but instead, a Test Cricket series played between England and Australia. The name dates back to Australia’s 1882 victory over England when it was declared that English cricket had died, and its “ashes” would be given to Australia. This competition lasts up to five days and bettors can bet on the outright winner.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) organizes international matches between countries. These include test, One-Day, and Twenty20 played as part of “tours”; when one nation travels to a host country and plays a number of matches of various sorts for a period of weeks or months against that nation. The ICC is the governing body of cricket and sets up matches and championships like the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup or the Cricket World Cup.
Cricket Betting is coming to Maryland. Not long now!